Friday, November 27, 2009

My PhD Begins Today!


Today is the first day of my PhD in Aegean Archaeology. While I have been virtuously focussing on my actual topic for the last three months or so, I - perversely(?) - spent today writing an article on an entirely different matter for an academic journal. Hence I am now almost blind and the article is not finished at all. I want to get it out of the way however, in order to finish - at least temporarily - with that particular subject and get back to my PhD topic. Perhaps I will find that I can end up doing both: researching my PhD and ocassionally foraying into academic article-land with non-PhD-related articles. Of course I will have to write journal articles on my PhD subject as well. It looks like I will have the time to do so. The last six years of exertion toward my university work means that I received an Australian Postgraduate Award scholarship and can therefore do my PhD full time. Studying for a living, can you think of anything better than that?

4 comments:

Lyon said...

Congratulations and best of luck to you! I indeed can hardly think of anything better than that. =)

Judith Weingarten said...

That's great. What is your subject? The fresco hints at an art historical focus....

Caroline Tully said...

Wow, I can't believe people are looking at my blog!, but am glad that they are. Judith, my subject is 'The Cultic Life of Trees: What trees say about people in the prehistoric Aegean, Cyprus and Israel.' Yep, that's pretty weird sounding, but Louise thinks its a fine topic. That's just the initial title, I'm sure it will change to a certain extent when I've done the literature review and worked some more stuff out about it.

Anonymous said...

Hi Caroline
Congratulations on your scholarship. And you topic sounds really interesting.
Emma